Tuesday, November 21, 2006

WINE: MORRIS Sparkling Shiraz Durif

Type: Sparkling Red
Origin: Australia
Approx Cost: $17

Curiosity forced me to open this wine tonight. To be honest I could have gone without it for a few more days but I haven’t had a sparkling red for an eternity. Opens well and smells divine. Very dark and intense burgundy, probably due to the durif in it. Mousse isn’t anything special. Bead is fine but burns itself out quickly. The sweetness surprises me initially before giving way to delicious forest berry flavours. Maybe even some aniseed and cranberry. Almost like a fortified shiraz in it’s sweetness. Decent finish. Enjoyed with a cookie. Very nice. I can see this as a great companion to chocolate.

Very good. Excellent for the price. One of the best values wines I’ve had, certainly the best sparkling red up to this point.

92%

No comments: