Tuesday, April 24, 2012

RESTAURANT: Kura Kura

I used to love the Kura franchise. There was Kura 1, the tiny corner noodle and misc outlet that only sat 12 at a time. Kura 3 was always good for a seat and a good meal. No one ever saw Kura 2. And that's the way it was.

Then a couple of years passed and I decided to get back into Kura. Kura 2 was okay. I guess. I just didn't feel the same spark.

So I decided to hit up Kura Kura, the newer, upstairs-from-Kura-1, more comfortable joint from the Kura folk.

The menu is fairly similar to Kura 3, but a bit clearer and maybe a few bucks more. This means a mix of teriyaki and don bowls, udon sets and sushi/sashimi sets.

On the pro side, the restaurant is a significantly more comfortable setting than the other Kuras and moves past "quick meal" territory. Drinks come with it. The matcha iced tea is nice, and sake sounds tempting.

But the food still doesn't do it for me like it did a few years back. The sushi is decent, but not enjoyable. The teriyaki fish looks decent, but not overly tempting. For the price and setting it's a good meal, but that's probably about it. My love affair with the Kuras has waned.


RATING: Okay, may go back [?]

Kura Kura Japanese Casual Dining on Urbanspoon

No comments: