Saturday, January 22, 2011

RECIPE: Burnt Flour Pasta with... Stuff

Browning your flour before cooking with it adds some interesting flavour and colour to the final product. I thought I'd give it a go.



Firstly, the flour is browned in a dry pan over a medium heat. Easy as. Just put the flour in and stir until it goes brown. So I did that.

Once that cooled, I sifted it into a mixing bowl and added enough eggs and egg yolks to form a pasta dough.

After a quick resting of the dough, I rolled it out and cut it into rough pappardelle strips (think wider fettuccine).

As I put the pappardelle into some salted, boiling water I also put a chunk of butter into a pan to melt. To that I added pepper, fresh parsley, lemon zest, garlic and some truffle salsa I had lying around.

(The tense of the recipe changes now)

Once the pasta is cooked to al dente (shouldn't take long with fresh pasta) and the butter is frothing, I transfer the pasta to the pan, toss it briefly in the pan then transfer to the serving plate. Over that I shave some parmigiano reggiano.

No comments: